Hey there Anon. So this is a really good question, and an opportunity for us to get our thoughts together on the topic. I'm going to effort-post a response for you in a day or so, but just wanted to quickly let you know I'd seen the thread.
- Robi has decided to keep /robowaifu/ on as he creates a new site. I am reasonably confident that at the least he is resistant to the types of influences that corrupted both m00t and Hotwheels, and so I'm hopeful the re-spin of Julay will prove to be a stable home for us for years to come. Add the addition of the Final Solution
into the future-mix and I would also predict that IBs in general will be an enduring platform for everyone for quite some time as well.
community growth & cohesion
- While sadly, we've never really recovered from the setback of 8chan's closure, general interest in the basic mission of /robowaifu/ hasn't diminished even a little. It's grown in fact, near as I can tell. I think coupled with the above point, this means that our community should grow in an organic way at a moderate pace all on it's own. An Anon is heading up a recruitment effort moreover, and if others will join with him in it, we may in fact grow significantly faster than typical. This faster growth brings a number of it's own issues, and one of those commonly seen is a 'rebound' effect where newcomers disappear after a short, intense period of interest. This is to be expected, but the basic trend should be up at an accelerated pace with everyone's efforts. I'm hopeful we may even recover some of our former denizens through this outreach project.
- Overall, I think we have literally one of the best communities going for IBs, so cohesion in general isn't a problem for us. We should all go out of our way to strive to be patient and helpful to newcomers over the next few months, myself included. While I will not allow outsiders to just run rough-shod over us and our efforts here, neither do I want to stifle potential new creative blood offhand. It's a tricky line to walk out well, and I'd ask everyone's patience with myself in advance and prayers too, heh. :^)
projects progress & openness
- One thing it would be nice to adapt here more strongly is keeping everyone up to date on a very
regular basis for the progress of your work. Don't be concerned that you're boring others or repeating yourself. Believe me, it will be a significant change for the better if we all adopt this approach here. If anything gets out of hand, I'll gently correct it so please, just dump your work here frequently for the benefit of all. Thanks Anons.
- Carver Mead (who's a very famous guy in certain circles) regularly had small group meetings where he and his grad students got together for fun and a meal on weekends, but first thing they all had a 'Confessional' session before eating. This is where anyone who had tried an experiment since the previous meeting and it failed
, they had
to share with everyone else what happened. The goal was to help everyone else
ofc. Sharing your own failures with others isn't comfortable, but if we could somehow adopt that into our culture here (in the past one of our members Dollfan actually did so, in fact) it would benefit us all I'm sure.
intellectual property & licensing
- Everyone here is free to do what they will with their own creations, of course. But it will definitely serve our community and the larger world if we all consolidate on the non-restrictive open-source licenses BSD 3-clause, or MIT. It has been well-tested legally, offers good protections for the author, and allows any interested entities to use the material at will. This license will both allow for any motivated Anons here to create kits for commercial (or non-commercial) distribution, but will also accelerate the general production of robowaifus worldwide. I'm well aware of the merits of more restrictive licensing, but I'm simply asking for everyone here to adopt the BSD-3 or MIT licenses for all
our work here on /robowaifu/.
- Every invention or even just idea is new to someone who hasn't ever seen it before
. While you can't explain every little detail to everyone and actually have time to do work as well, I think it would be helpful to everyone if you can make some extra time in your visits to /robowaifu/ to spell out in over-abundant detail information about your projects. This will be particularly effective as newcomers come on board who don't have much of a clue yet about what's going on here.
- The board itself has been our only real 'document' thus far. While IBs have proven even better than I'd hoped at allowing us as a community to creatively share our ideas, still as an engineering documentation system it leaves much to be desired. Anon has revived the old idea of creating a /robowaifu/ wiki, and I sincerely hope we manage it this time.
I've personally taken the initiative as well to begin a more formal documentation effort called the Robowaifu Design Document
) which should help us out in the long run, hopefully in a significant way. Probably the two efforts will progress hand-in-hand apace, with the board itself continuing to serve as the main fertile breeding-ground for creativity as it has done so well thus far.
- Anon has also created a great IPCNet
), which I'm folding into the RDD. I would welcome many, many more such documents after it's kind from everyone involved here. They don't have to be anything fancy, but please throw in tons of details about your ideas and projects. I'll do my best to edit them into the RDD under the pertinent headings, etc.
directory & glossary
- I'm also considering how best to have a 'directory' thread for the board that will help direct everyone to find posts touching on the very many different topics we cover here on /robowaifu/.
>(1 of 2)
-add BSD link
-add 1 of 2
-add IPCNet & RDD
Edited last time by Chobitsu on 04/06/2021 (Tue) 00:05:02.